In life there is always something that needs your attention, kids, work, school, in-laws...but then there's sewage. Not how you wanted to spend your weekend! Here are some tips to avoid sewage back up in to your home.
1. Never pour grease or oils, such as coconut oil down the drain, it will eventually solidify when it cools down and that can cause a problem.
2. Do NOT flush wet wipes, even the ones that are proclaimed "flush-able" just to be safe. My son flushed his superman underoos down the toilet, just because they can be flushed doesn't mean it's the best idea.
3. Beware of those long locks! Put hairballs in the trash, not down the drain or in the toilet.
4. Never throw paper towels in the toilet, a lot of these paper towels these days are like wash clothes, so trash those to too.
5. Finally make sure you keep an eye on the root systems around your home and sewer lines. Remove any that could possibly harm your pipes.
April showers bring May flowers, but they also bring flash floods and high winds and unexpected damage. It's time to get prepared!
Here are some steps to take to help you along the way:
- Prepare for strong winds by removing diseased and damaged limbs from trees.
- Store law furniture and other outdoor items in a safe and secure place or move inside for storage.
- If you have a basement or storage area that made flood be sure to store all valuables in a plastic tote and store off the ground if possible to prevent damage to pictures and keepsakes.
- Have emergency numbers easily accessible such as plumbers, the power company and SERVPRO.
Contact SERVPRO with as soon as possible after damage occurs so we can help, and don't forget April Shower bring may flowers!
Air purity is something most of us don't think about often but is very important. You wouldn't want your family, especially the elderly or children breathing in harmful spores or bacteria on a daily basis. It is recommended that you have your air ducts cleaned every 3-5 yrs to be safe.
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends cleaning your ducts when the following is present:
· Vermin infestation somewhere in the home or if insects or rodents are around the ductwork.
· Visible confirmation of dust or dander being released from the supply registers when air is exiting the vents.
· Visible mold would definitely need to betaken care of as soon as possible.
Take a gander to check the dander inside of your vent register. Black debris and dust build up is a sign your system is excessively soiled.
If your dealing with a dirty duct give SERVPRO a call and we'll clean it up... "Like it never even happened."
When Fire Invades
SODA Blasting in progress.
An urgent call comes in at 1:08 pm on April 26th, the caller is very distraught and says her home was devastated by fire a mere 3 days ago, she simply doesn't know what to do next and needs our help. SERVPRO of Martinsville was there within the hour and completed a walk through to evaluate the damage. The Fire Assessment Specialist concluded that there was standing water from the fire department that needed to be removed first and then the entire inside of the home would have to be gutted out, down to the studs. All of the contents of the home were considered a total loss and needed to be packed up and disposed of properly. The amazing SERVPRO technicians were kind and respectful of the items as they were being packed up and removed from the home. SERVPRO used the technique called SODA blasting to restore the home to it's original preloss condition. If you are dealing with the aftermath of a fire call SERVPRO of Martinsville, we'll make it look "Like it never even happened."
'Tis the Season
Oh no, the Christmas party was a hit but Tom spilled red wine on the carpet and Debbie seemed to get more spinach dip on the couch than anywhere else. 'Tis the season for Christmas parties and let's not forget New Year's Eve celebrations. You can always call SERVPRO to find out what to do right away to keep the stain from setting and even make an appointment while the party is still going. When the dust settles and it's time to clean up the aftermath of an excellent party or your just ready for a good spring cleaning Contact SERVPRO of Martinsville for your most difficult jobs, we can make it like it never even happened! We offer upholstery, carpet and even duct cleaning. We wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
When The Water Rises
Frozen pipes burst on inside of building.
Brrrrr, it's really getting could out there! When the temperature drops, it's always a good idea to be prepared and know what you're up against. The main issues to watch for are frozen pipes and melting snow which can cause flooding to your home or business before you know it. When storing your belongings it is important to put valuables or items susceptible to water damage such as pictures, important documents and electronics in plastic totes and store off of the ground. If you do have a leak the first thing you want to do is find and turn off the water source. Next remove as much excess water as possible with a mop, by blotting or with a bucket if necessary. If upholstered furniture has been saturated remove and prop up cushions for even drying and place aluminium foil or wooden blocks under the furniture legs. Be sure to remove books, magazines or other colored items from wet carpeting to avoid staining. Contact SERVPRO of Martinsville, we'll make it look "Like it never even happened."
Out with the MOLD, in with the New
Mold has moved in!
Mold is a common problem that can be easily overlooked. If you can't see visible evidence of mold but you smell a strong musty odor, it's time to investigate. Ask yourself, has there been a history of moisture problems in the past such as excessive humidity or a leak that has needed to be fixed previously? These conditions are perfect for our unwanted friend to grow and thrive in the hidden ares of our homes and businesses. There are health concerns involved with mold but are typically for "at risk" individuals such as young children, those with immune deficiencies, and chronic inflammatory lung diseases such as asthma and severe allergies. Possible symptoms of mold exposure include: runny nose, sneezing, coughing, aggravation of asthma, sore throat, or inflammation of the sinuses. If this sounds like a problem you may be experiencing contact SERVPRO of Martinsville.